Periodontics: Gum Disease Treatment
In its milder forms, gum disease can cause your gum tissue to swell and feel tender. One early symptom of gum disease is bleeding following brushing or flossing. More advanced stages of periodontitis can lead to jawbone recession and tooth loss, along with an increased risk of other serious health issues.
Dr. K.B. Parkes, Dr. Gary Waltemath, and Dr. Karen S Keenan at Iroquois Family Dentistry in Nashville, TN, treat all stages of gum disease using advanced periodontic treatments and technology. If you are experiencing symptoms of gum disease, we are here to help.
Benefits of Periodontal Care
By undergoing scaling and root planing, periodontal surgery, or laser gum surgery at our Nashville clinic, you can experience:
- Avoid serious health issues: Gum disease is a leading cause of tooth loss. However, research indicates that it can also increase your risk of heart disease. If you are experiencing symptoms of gum disease, you have everything to gain by seeking prompt treatment.
- Restored candidacy for cosmetic treatments: Whether you plan to have porcelain veneers placed, undergo orthodontic treatments, or undergo any of our cosmetic treatments, good oral health is essential. After your periodontal treatment is completed, you can become eligible for procedures that deliver a more attractive smile.
- No more unpleasant symptoms: Gum disease causes unpleasant symptoms that range from bleeding to swelling and bad breath. Periodontal treatments address these embarrassing symptoms by targeting the underlying cause.
- Long-term cost savings: Periodontal treatments are far more affordable than more invasive treatments like dental implants, which may become necessary if gum disease results in tooth loss. It pays to seek early treatment.
Do I Need Periodontal Treatment?
Individuals with mild levels of periodontal disease may experience bleeding or swollen gums and bad breath. Left untreated, moderate to advanced gum disease can result in:
- Painful chewing
- Sensitive teeth
- Severely swollen gums
- Loose teeth
During your exam with one of our doctors, your teeth and gums will be closely examined. One of our dentists will look for symptoms of gum disease before recommending one or more treatments.
More advanced stages of periodontitis can lead to jawbone recession and tooth loss, along with an increased risk of other serious health issues.
Periodontal Treatment Options
The doctors at Iroquois Family Dentistry offer four periodontal treatments:
- Scaling and root planing: This non-surgical treatment removes tartar and plaque below the gum line. Once your teeth have been thoroughly cleaned, the surfaces of your tooth roots will be smoothed to prevent bacteria from collecting in the future. Antiseptics are often applied as well.
- Periodontal surgery: An incision in your gums is made to access the infection and remove decay.
- Laser gum surgery: In some cases, laser technology allows dentists to kill bacteria without the need for incising the gums or using a scalpel. The treatment has a very low risk of side effects.
If you have concerns about the affordability of periodontal treatment, our Nashville clinic works with most insurance providers and can arrange CareCredit® financing. We also offer in-house low-interest and interest-free payment plans.
Contact Us Today
Gum disease can pose a serious threat to your health and quality of life. If you are experiencing symptoms of gum disease, contact our office online or call (615) 298-2040.